Everyone is looking for foods that are diet friendly and will keep you full for long periods of time. Foods that are high in protein and fiber are usually the most satisfying. These six foods will have you eating more and weighing less in no time!
1. Eggs – a recent study found that people who ate eggs for breakfast consumed 330 fewer calories throughout the day than those who had a bagel. “Eggs are one of the few foods that are a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids that your body can’t make itself. Once digested, those amino acids trigger the release of hormones in your gut that suppress your appetite.”
2. Potatoes – a recent study that measured the satiating index of 38 foods, found that people ranked boiled potatoes the highest. They reported feeling fuller longer and ate less two hours after consuming them. Potatoes are loaded with vitamins, fiber and nutrients giving you energy and leaving you stuffed. Try pairing them with a protein for a complete meal!
3. Oatmeal – Oatmeal’s filling force comes from its high fiber content and its uncanny ability to soak up liquids like a sponge. Because of their thickness, oats take a long time to digest and will keep you full of hours. My favorite oatmeal is Bob’s Red Mill.
4. Greek Yogurt – With double the protein and less sugar then regular yogurt, Greek yogurt keeps you fuller longer. “A recent study found that consuming dairy proteins increases satiety, reduces food intake and keeps blood sugar steady.” Top with some berries or nuts for an easy breakfast on the run.
5. Apples – Because apples take time to eat, your body has more time to tell your brain that you are no longer hungry. They are one of the few fruits that contain pectin, which naturally slows digestion and promotes a feeling of fullness.
6. Smoothies – While most beverages don’t satisfy hunger very well, blended drinks are an exception. They cause people to feel satiated and eat less at their next meal. You may love some of these great smoothie recipes!
Try adding in some or all of these filling foods to your grocery list! You just might be surprised how getting more bang for your bite can really help you feel satisfied and lose weight!
Eat Yourself Skinny!