TheFittChick Guide to Making Healthy Choices At Any Restaurant!
From intimate meals to decadent desserts, couples across the globe will be celebrating romance today. Whether you love it or hate it, Valentine’s Day remains one of the biggest restaurant nights of the year – one that often involves heavy dinners. But with a few tips and some planning, you can get through the big night without adding inches to your waistline!
Eating out and eating healthy can seem IMPOSSIBLE! You just have to remember that it isn’t always easy, but it will be worth it to take a few extra steps to get a great meal without the guilt! I always recommend keeping it simple, and ordering meals you love so that you never feel deprived! That doesn’t mean you should order nachos and cheese fries every time you go out, but those foods are definitely part of TheFittChick program!
But, let’s get real! Yes, some restaurants are easier than others! Some places make it tough to stick to a plan, and some people don’t always make it easy to order what you planned. Instead of skimping on the meal, you just need to be menu-savy when making your food choices, and get prepared with these FittChick tips!
1. EAT ALL DAY! Are you temped to skimp on calories during the day so you can let loose at your favorite restaurant at dinner? It might seem like a smart move, but “saving up” for you meal will usually backfire. If you go into a meal famished, foods that would otherwise not be as tempting, immediately look delicious! In other words, you are way more likely to inhale the entire bread basket or say yes to dessert even though you don’t even really like the desserts they have!
Eat every meal you normally would! Eat your regular breakfast burrito or pancakes slathered in grass-fed butter. Meet your friends or hubby for lunch and enjoy a huge sandwich or sushi buffet! Then when you get to your Valentine’s Day dinner, YOU WON’T BE STARVING!!!! You can order a meal that sounds delicious, but you may end up only eating half because you won’t be so hungry from starving yourself all day! Or maybe you will skip the bread basket and order a low-cal appetizer like shrimp cocktail or ceviche!
2. One tip I literally CANNOT stress enough is to check out the menu ahead of time! It doesn’t take more than 5 minutes out of your day to check out a new restaurant and see what to expect. You may even find that the website has the nutritional info available! That is like finding the golden ticket to us health fanatics! The menu will help you figure out what you plan on eating, and what would be good options for the rest of your day! You can aways look for words that signal lighter dishes, liked baked, broiled, grilled, steamed, or poached! Definitely steer clear of anything that’s fried, crusted, rich, creamy, decadent, or stuffed. Unless you want to indulge, then enjoy every bite!
3. Don’t be aftraid to ask for what you want! If you spot something on the menu that looks delicious and has the potential to be healthy with just a few tweaks, make it happen! Ask your server what can be done to meet your needs! No matter what the cuisine, there are countless simple swaps that can easily be made-as long as you ask!
4. Most restaurants use a heavy hand when it comes to dressings and toppings! They just can’t help themselves! When you ask for a side of sauce or dressing, you can control the amount without having to miss out! Or throw a healthy option in your bag! I like to know what I am putting in my body! My friends refer to me as Mary Poppins, because I am always pulling out my own dressings or condiments from my huge tote! That’s just how I roll! No one has to see or notice that you chose to use your own salad dressing to save hundreds of unnecessary calories. There is no right or wrong, it is truly all about what you want to do with YOUR day, YOUR meal, and YOUR body!
5. Pick your battles! Indulgent extras like wine, bread, and dessert can add up fast, but that does’t mean you have to say no to everything. It’s fine to tread yourself, just be choosy! Pick the one thing you think you’d enjoy the most and enjoy every bite! If you still feel like you are missing out, remember you can always try what you didn’t get the next time or make a lighter version at home! This ISN’T YOUR LAST MEAL! YOU ARE NOT GOING TO THE ELECTRIC CHAIR TOMORROW! YOU WON’T DIE IF YOU DON’T EAT UNTIL YOU CANT BREATHE!
Valentine’s Day is a time for laughter, fun and food. Moderation is always the key. And if you do pop the lid off that box of chocolates this Valentine’s Day, DON’T FEEL GUILTY! Just remember you have options! You decide what you do with your choices! And TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY!
Live Fitt!…Be Fitt!