Did you know Super Bowl Sunday is the second largest food consumption day of the year after Thanksgiving? The average American will consume 1200 calories from snacking alone while watching the big game! Whether you are actually going to watch football or just to hang with friends, chances are you have a fun party to go to!
Research shows on Super Bowl Sunday Americans will eat 100 million pounds of chicken wings, 71.4 million pounds of avocados, 45. 8 million pounds of potato chips, 43.2 million pounds of tortilla chips, 13. 2 million pounds of pretzels, and order more than 4.4 million pizzas from Domino’s, Papa Johns and Pizza Hut. That is nuts!
There is no way around the fact that Super Bowl parties are a huge challenge for those trying to live a healthy lifestyle! Try and follow some or all of these tips to enjoy the game without gaining a pound!
1. Start the weekend off right by eating healthy and getting in some great workouts!
2. Don’t starve yourself on game day, that will only make you overeat later.
3. Eat a small meal before you go, which can help prevent overindulging on junk food. I always recommend a thick and filling protein shake right before you go!
4. Plan ahead and offer to bring a healthy food choice such as a veggie platter with healthy dips, shrimp cocktail, or a huge salad loaded with lean protein.
5. Control your portions! Try and sit away from the food to prevent mindless eating.
6. Choose guacamole over calorie-filled dips. It’s loaded with nutrients and good fats to fill you up and keep you satiated. Click HERE to see how eating avocado’s can actually help you lose weight!
7. Don’t drink away your calories! Drink water or other zero calorie liquids, and limit your alcohol intake to just a few. Read THIS to see how you can drink alcohol and still lose weight!
FittChick Do Not’s…
1. Buffalo Wings are not only deep-fried but can pack nearly 1,700 calories and 50 grams of fat per serving…and that’s before the blue cheese or ranch dressing!
2. The typical 7-layer dip weighs in a 700 calories and 80 grams of fat per serving…and that’s before the chips!
3. Stay away from the candy. If you load up on candy and chocolate you are just wasting empty calories on a treat that’s missing fiber and protein that will keep you full.
4. Nachos can be over 1,000 calories per serving with 107 grams of fat.
All in all, no matter which team you are rooting for on Super Bowl Sunday, you are going to be on the winning team if you think ahead and stick to your game plan. Unless you plan on running the length of 120 football fields to burn off thousands of extra calories, stick to some or all of these tips to keep your New Years Resolution alive! Just remember: You can easily EAT MORE & WEIGH LESS with the right foods and a healthy mind-set!
Who’s ready to Eat Yourself Skinny?