Quinoa dates back three to four thousand years ago when the Incas first realized that the quinoa seed was fit for human consumption. Quinoa “was the gold of the Incas” because the Incas believed it increased the stamina of their warriors. The Quinoa Corporation calls quinoa the “Supergrain of the Future. ”
Who would not want to reap the benefits of this amazing superfood?
Here are five health benefits of quinoa:
1. Quinoa is an amazing source of fiber. 1 cup of cooked quinoa is equivalent to 5 grams, which is 20% of recommended daily intake!
2. Quinoa is a complete source of protein, meaning that it contains all the amino acids necessary for our nutritional needs.
3. Naturally gluten free. This is fantastic for those with problems digesting gluten (wheat) or who have legitimate celiac disease.
4. Quinoa is high in iron, calcium, manganese, magnesium and copper….giving you more energy!
5. In comparison to other whole grains like wheat, Qunioa provides a nice dose of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, omega-3-fatty acids, alpha-linoleic acid…all providing inflammation!
Just like mildly flavored tofu, quinoa absorbs the flavors around it, so it pairs well with just about anything. Try it for breakfast with fresh fruit and cinnamon or as a side dish at lunch or dinner. It just may become you new favorite food!
Eat Yourself Skinny!